|USGS 7.5' Map:||Lynx Pass, Gore Pass|
|Managed by:||Routt National Forest,
Yampa Ranger District
|300 Roselawn Ave (PO Box 7)
Yampa, Colorado 80483
|Summary:||Old Highway follows a section of the old road from Yampa to Kremmling. It passes one of the old stage stop buildings.|
|Natural - Closed by heavy snows.
June - Best
July - Best
August - Best
September - Best
October - Early snows possible
|Camping:||There are a few dispersed camp sites along the road. Three dispersed sites are at the end of FR 209.|
|Base Camp:||This area would be a good place to base camp and explore the roads that head south toward the Gore Canyon and the Colorado River.|
|Fall Colors:||Average - The road runs through an area that is mostly large open meadows. There are some aspen in the surrounding forest.|
|Navigation:||From Kremmling, CO. head west on US-40 W/Park Ave toward 5th Street. Continue to follow US-40 W for 6.3 miles. Turn left onto Colorado Hwy 134 West and go 13.4 miles. Turn left onto a gravel road. This is Old Highway, FR 206.
From Yampa, CO. head south on Colorado Hwy 131 S/Lincoln Street toward Main Street. Go 9.7 miles and take a slight left onto Colorado Hwy 134 East. Go 8.6 miles and take a right turn onto a gravel road. This is Old Highway, FR 206.
|History:||Sir Robert Gore first traveled the Indian trail over Gore Pass on a hunting expedition in 1855. For many years thereafter, Gore Pass was the only route west from Kremmling into the isolated Egeria Park, Yampa, Oak Creek, Steamboat Springs, and Hayden area. By the late 1860s, the Gore Pass Trail was a firmly established, well-traveled wagon route that served as the major route into the region until the Denver and Rio Grande Railroad reached Wolcott in 1887, after which a Steamboat-Wolcott stage and freighting service was established. In 1861, Captain Berthoud, intent on building a road from the Colorado-Kansas border into the Colorado Territory for overland stages, surveyed the mountainous terrain. The Rock Creek Stage Stop, built circa 1880 by the Gates brothers, James and Clark, and James’ son Bert, is one of the oldest surviving historical landmarks in Routt County.
In 1878, it was a halfway station for the first Wells Fargo mail route from Georgetown to Hot Sulphur Springs to Steamboat Springs. Due to isolation and transportation difficulties, the station contributed significantly to the onset of settlement in the Yampa Valley. James built the structure in two phases: the ground floor served as home; the upper portion was added when he was granted a stage contract. For many years, James and his family lived and operated a hotel, post office, stage stop, and staging site for many hunting expeditions in the building. The Rock Creek Stage Stop is an unusually large, three-bay, two-story, rectangular, hand-hewn logchinked structure with a wide front door, narrow windows, and a moderatelypitched gable roof. The logs, squared on the sides and rounded on the tops and bottoms. Logs extend into the gable peaks. The building contains a large barn door on one wall and evidence that a balcony or deck originally projected from the second story. Partitions on the dirt ground floor suggest that it functioned as a stable; people were housed on the second floor and in the loft. Animals and people sharing the same structure was an unusual practice in Colorado. No evidence of an interior or exterior stairway to the upper floors exists. An extension on the back of the building, partially dug into the hillside, housed the kitchen and perhaps the dining room. The establishment was ultimately vacated in the 1940s.
The stage stop was listed on National Register of Historic Places in 2009. The Steamboat Springs’ Tread of Pioneers Museum, Historic Routt County!, the Colorado Division of Wildlife, the U.S. Department of Agriculture, the U.S. Forest Service, and the State Historical Fund have partnered to complete stabilization of the structure.
|Old Highway is a two lane graded gravel road that follow the old stage route over Gore Pass. It heads south from Hwy 134 following Little Rock Creek through a large open meadow. You will come to an intersection with FR225 to the right. Stay to the left to continue on Old Highway, FR206. It continues around a low mountain following Rock Creek heading east under some power lines. After approximatly a half mile from the intersection you will pass one of the old stage stations that has been restored.
From here the road heads east crossing Rock Creek and passing a private residence on the north side of the road. The next road to the right is FR209 a short spur road that dead ends at a gate. There are three dispersed campsites near the gate. Past the intersection with FR209 Old Highway continues east passing FR210 which does not show up on the Forest Service Motor Vehicle Use Map. Beyond this intersection the road will climb up into the trees again and pass a large dispersed camp site. As the road continues through the trees it will pass another disperxed camp site on the left. Once you leave the forest Hwy 134 will be visible and Old Highway will tie into it.
|Data updated May 15, 2014 4WD Road driven September 1, 2013 Copyright 4X4Explore.com - 2000-2014|